Sunday, June 06, 2004

A mind at rest, tends to stay at rest... A mind in motion, keeps you awake at night...

Sometimes I wish that brains could be turned off, just like the TV. It's really annoying when you're all snuggled up under the covers, your head nicely rested in the comforts of a fluffy pillow, your eyes are slowly drooping and then all of a sudden, your mind starts firing up and swirls of thoughts bug you through the rest of the night.
Sheesh...

That happened to me about 10 minutes ago and here I am, allowing my fingers to do the talking for my indisciplined brain.

First, I was bothered by what I heard on TV this evening, that since the United Nations was founded in 1945, there have been 140 wars. I mean, come on! Wasn't the whole purpose behind forming the United Nations was to ensure that there was global effort for peace?
For crying out loud, the preamble to the Charter of the United Nations clearly states that we the people of the united nations determine to save succeeding generations from the scourge of war, which twice in our lifetime has brought untold sorrow to mankind. United Nations Charter
Sure, the UN is an improvement as compared to its predecessor, the League of Nations, but stillllll.... 140 wars? That's just mind-boggling.

The thought of war made me think of Adolf Hitler. And a little piece of high-school trivia came back to me. My high-school teacher, Pn.Zarina, always peppered her lecture with interesting facts to make History less boring, and she once told us that Adolf Hitler's ambition was to be an architect, but he failed the entrance exam at the architectural school in Vienna. So then I wonder whether World War II would have happened if Mr.Hitler was accepted into the school. I mean, it's quite a stretch from being an architect to being a dictator, isn't it? Imagine the legacy he could've left... He could've been the designer of sky-scrapers instead of building concentration camps...

I didn't want to entertain thoughts of concentration camps prior to falling asleep. Horrible nightmares would be the only logical outcome of that. So I racked my brain for more mundane thoughts. And I recalled something I read in one of my sister's teen magazines. That a piece of French toast that was partially eaten by Justin Timberlake was sold on eBay. I know he's considered a heartthrob, and I know his popularity sky-rocketed after the "wadrobe malfunction" with Janet Jackson... but having his leftover toast sold on eBay? That's just too weird.

The thought of french toast made me think of food. And I nearly got out of bed to head towards the kitchen to make myself some buttered toast or my favourite, peanut-butter & cheese toast. But then I remembered how my mother keeps insisting that I could (and should) lose some weight before the wedding (which is like, NEXT YEAR.) So I suppressed the hunger pangs and mentally told myself to diet... yeah, this'll last a week at the most! Then I remembered what my friend Fara used to say as an excuse against having to diet, that because dieting reduces saliva which leads to dry mouth, it causes bad breath.
So then I thought about whether I'd prefer to be a fat bride or be a thin bride with bad breath...

But before I could debate about that oh-so-important issue any longer, my stomach growled and I promptly decided to compromise and get myself a mug of hot Milo instead.

Which thus leads me here.. in front of my PC in the middle of the night, nursing a mug of steaming Milo and filling up my blog with this nonsensical entry...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL!!

Carneyz said...

Yeah, yeah... Imagine all those doctor-wannabes whose application to pursue medic but as the government decided - tempat dah penuh ye. Ambik course lain (shove to some unpopular course) -suddenly envisaged themselves as terrorists! Man. We'll be breeding killers instead of healers.