Friday, July 16, 2004

Red-Faced Onion (Bawang Merah)

I spent hours yesterday, drafting a "very important" legal opinion for a "very important" client.
Quoting the Gruesome Gargoyle of Evil (read: my boss)
 
The client demanded it to be done urgently (despite giving wayyy to little time) and I managed to complete it an hour before deadine. I promptly e-mailed it to him and sat back in my chair, feeling very pleased with myself.
Then my eyes scanned through the opinion (which I had already sent) and my heart just froze.
 
All through the "very important" document to the "very important" client, I had referred to OPINION as ONION.
 
You can just imagine how ridiculous legal phrases look like when you incorporate a smelly vegetable in it...

"This onion is given on the basis that it is to be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of Malaysia."

"It is for the addressees to form their own view or take their own advice as to whether this onion is appropriate or sufficient for their purposes." 

I was mortified.
How could I have missed such an error?
Of course the client will know that it was a typo but STILLLLL....
I'll never live this down.
 
I told my friends about this and they were kind enough to stifle their giggles.
They also made me feel better by talking about their own goofups and blunders.
And I felt a wee bit better.
 
I mean, heck!

We're humans. Humans make mistakes. Sometimes very silly ones.

 
 
In the words of Dan Quayle, (though not very poetic),
"Every once in a while, you let a word or phrase out, and you want to catch it and bring it back. You can't do that. It's gone, gone forever."
 




No comments: