Thursday, October 14, 2004

Introduced to a Buffoon [Mini-Rant]

Excuse me while I rant for a minute or two.

I was having a chat with my friend Anna when a young fellow walked towards us. Turned out that he was an old friend of Anna's. He looked like a decent chap, in a nice dark blue suit and a tasteful pin-striped tie. He and Anna chatted for a bit and then Anna, being the well-mannered, young lady she is, introduced us to each other.

Anna: "Diha, this is Jit, he's a financial analyst. Jit, this is Diha, she's a lawyer."

Jit: "I hate lawyers."


So of course, both Anna and I just stood there for a moment, a bit wary as to how we were supposed to respond to that.

You see, Jit was NOT kidding around. It wasn't said in a light-hearted manner... He practically spit-out the word 'lawyers' and said it with such venom that I actually took a step away from him.

I have NO idea what 'bad experience' he may have had with members of the legal profession, but whatever it was, it must have been horrible enough to make him forget his social graces.

After saying "I hate lawyers", he promptly gave me the once-over and proceeded to ignore me while saying his goodbyes to Anna. Needless to say, Anna apologised for his behaviour once he had left.

I was incredibly taken aback by his 'weirdness'. I didn't even KNOW the guy! What does he have against ME?

I mean, I've had bad experiences with salesmen, but if a friend of mine introduces me to her friend the salesman, I'd graciously treat him like a human being. I'm not going to generalize ALL salesmen as scum.

Sheeshhhh......... I knew people had prejudices but this just takes the cake.

I wish I had said something equally venomous to the jackass. But of course, only NOW I'm thinking of something to say.

"I hate lawyers"
"I hate idiots"

"I hate lawyers"
"With your attitude, I'm sure the feeling's mutual"

No comments: