It's been five days since I first joined this new firm. Let's call it Messrs. Z & Partners. I joined this firm because I had heard such great things about it - "the work is good and the work environment is better". The latter was what clinched it for me. I mean, we spend more than half of our waking hours at work, so we might as well look for a place that'll make those hours, at least, bearable.
Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work
Aristotle [384 BC - 322 BC]
After 5 days, I can honestly say that their reputation is justified. Thank goodness! I was afraid that it might just be another 'hell on earth' and I'd regret leaving Messrs. Stern, Dull & Bore. But thankfully, this new firm appears to be fertile ground for good work, good friends and a good life. Greener pastures indeed.
I believe that a job is just that - a job. You've got your responsibilities and all you have to do is to make sure that you shoulder those responsibilities to the best of your abilities.
I don't believe in rigidity or blind rule-abiding in getting the work done. You know, stuff like unnecessary (and time-wasting!) paperwork or red-tape etc. I mean, as long as you get your work done and your work's done well , I don't see the problem. (Disclaimer:And you don't break any laws or social taboos in the process)
Here, in Messrs. Z & Partners, the lawyers don't seem to be a stickler for "traditional rules" or "unnecessary red-tape". There's no "set guidelines on how a lawyer should behave". I see lawyers typing away in their room while listening to music. Yes, they allow you to have music on during office hours... which is normally frowned upon in stuffy law firms. I also see lawyers and secretaries going out to lunch together. There's no such unwritten rule about "not socializing with the support staff". To me, that's a great thing too.
I hated the idea of a "hierarchy system" where Partners socialize in their own elite group, Lawyers socialize amongs themselves and the 'others' (clerks, secretaries, tea-lady etc.) are expected to socialize with each other (IF they're allowed to socialize at all.) It just reminds me too much of the colonial ages of lords and peons. Definitely does not provide for a condusive work environment. It's obviously better to form strong bonds with the entire workforce than just with your "contemporaries". It's all mutually beneficial anyway.
One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important.
Bertrand Russell [1872 - 1970]
I also don't believe in the 'hypocrisy of working late'. Where people who don't NEED to stay till 10pm to work, still do so for 'appearance' sakes. Apparently if the boss catches you working late at night, you'll appear more important and hard-working. To me, if you consistently work more than the hours you're given to work, it's a reflection of bad time-management (and no life!) If you HAVE to stay and work late, by all means, do so. But if you DON'T have to, why in the world would you want to??
It's not the hours you put in your work that counts, it's the work you put in the hours.
Sam Ewing
Again I repeat, a job is just that - a job. The company or the firm you work at is miniscule compared to the huge world out there. If we take our work, our company and ourselves TOO seriously, we'll lose touch of reality. End up dazed workers whose job is their entire LIFE, and not just a way to make a LIVING. I pray that such a thing doesn't happen to me.
In order that people may be happy in their work, these three things are needed: They must be fit for it. They must not do too much of it. And they must have a sense of success in it.
John Ruskin [1819 - 1900]
Thursday, October 07, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment