Wednesday, September 29, 2004

BitterSweet Farewells

I've never liked goodbyes.
I find myself at loss for words (and that's very very rare).

My rational brain is saying "No one's dying, you'll see each other again."
My emotional heart whispers "But it's the end of this chapter of your life... And you may never make time to see each other again."

Today I'll be leaving my office in Messrs. Stern, Dull & Bore for the very last time... and the battle between my brain and my heart is at full force.

There are many reasons why I made the decision to leave. The work didn't suit me, and there were better prospects elsewhere. And for those who've read my little post on 'Cannibalistic Shark-in-a-Suit', you'll know about Ms.MoreHoney. Basically, I know I made the right decision to leave... but knowing that doesn't make the farewells any less bitter.

I've met a lot of really nice people during my short stint there. And this, is my little tribute to them.

Aaron - A man of few words with a constant grin on his face. I've never seen him lose his temper, snap, gripe or complain. He can have loads of files on his desk with a one-hour deadline and he'll still find time to pleasantly greet people with a smile.
Elizabeth - A fiesty little woman with a delicious sense of fun. She brightens up a room just by entering it. Always available when you need her help, or just to lend an ear. She's got good spirit, and I hope the sharks don't break it.. it'll be a great loss.
Tzan - A bona fide wacko. He goes around drawing cartoons on people's noticeboard and acts like a hyper toddler - but he's a nice fella and always knows how to look at the bright side of every situation.
Kimberly - A real gem. She can talk your ear off and is really good fun, her vivacious personality simply overshadows her intelligent mind. To those who don't appreciate it, well.. that's their loss.

There're many more of these really nice people - people I'm glad I had the opportunity to welcome in my life. People I hope I'll be keeping in touch with, but I probably won't... Am being honest with myself here.

It's just like high-school. Great friends, promise never to lose touch... but the passage of time just sweeps them away from you. Yes, I acknowledge that it takes an effort to keep in touch, and yes, they are worth it. But it's just something that happens, you know.

I end one chapter of my life, and the characters merely remain in my memory... while I begin a new one.


No comments: