Saturday, October 30, 2004

Marconi's screaming from his grave...

If there are radios 6 feet under, Marconi (the radio inventor) must be shouting at us to "Turn it Off!" But ONLY when the radio commercials are on... MALAYSIAN radio commercials.

My Resurrected buddy had pointed out one commercial dripping with innuendo. There are many others..........

The Shakey's cruncy pizza ad...
A male voice goes "Mmmmhhhhh....... Ahhhhh.... OOooohhhh... Mmmmhhh"
and then he goes "Ahhhh.. Can I have some more, pleaasseee??"
and then, a sultry, sexy female voice goes "... surrre baby..."
and then the male voice goes "AAAAhhhhhh!!!"

If it weren't for the crunching in the background, this would definitely be labelled soft-porn on radio.

What kind of man eats pizza like that?? G-R-O-S-S! He SoOooOO needs a good roll in the sack.

Another commercial that makes me switch radio stations is the Kumon Method of Learning ad...

A number of kids (and teenagers) tell us about how Kumon has benefitted them. Good script, ANNOYING way of presenting it. The kids come across as highly-vain, incredibly-snotty know-it-alls.

It goes something like:-
"I'M good in Algebra and I'm ONLY nine"...
"I'VE MASTERED English"....
"I'M the almighty goddess of wisdom and I shall TAKEOVER the WORLD and make YOU my slave"

okay.. I made up the last one

Another irksome thing about radio commercials, is that they try so hard to reflect ethnic diversity by making the voices SOUND Chinese, Indian or Malay. And more often than not, it results in HORRIBLE English... They lay on the slangs and accents sooo thick, it's embarassing.

What? We Malaysians can't speak proper English, ah?

And if they don't do the whole local-slang english thing, they do the equally horrible heavy American/British English thing. Very painful to the ears...

Unlike when I'm watching TV, I switch channels when I listen to the radio and the commercials are aired. I have yet to hear a really GOOD radio commercial. I'm sure there ARE some out there
- maybe I've just not been lucky enough to catch it.

No comments: