Wednesday, March 30, 2005

"Thank you, that's so kind of you to say."

Is it really that difficult for one to accept a compliment graciously?

I mean, yes, we should be humble and modest and all that... but when you are given a compliment, it really is polite to accept it graciously.

No one can honestly say that they don't appreciate sincere words of praise. It's been said that "Praise is like sunlight to the human spirit: we cannot flower and grow without it."

A good ol' honest compliment is always welcomed and SHOULD be welcomed with grace and a healthy dose of modesty.

I notice that most people tend to brush off the compliment with a statement that either refutes the compliment or a statement that shifts attention to a flaw instead.

A compliment is a gift, not to be thrown away carelessly, unless you want to hurt the giver.
Eleanor Hamilton


It really pains me to see people treat compliments with such awkwardness and sometimes, rudeness. I'm not saying you should immediately rush out and buy her a thank you card or instantly offer to buy her lunch or go into orgasmic raptures over the compliment...

I'm just saying that it is polite and courteous to acknowledge that a person has said something nice to you and respond appropriately.

It really shouldn't be too hard to do.

You can tell the character of every man when you see how he receives praise.
Seneca (5 BC - 65 AD), Epistles


"Anak you dapat 10A? Wahhh... bagusnya! Pandainya dia! You must be so proud of him."
"Eh, takderlahh... Dia ni pemalas sebenarnya. Bilik sendiri pun tak reti nak kemas."

"Anna, I just LOVE what you've done to your hair! It really suits your features well!"
"What? NOOOooooOoo lahh... My face look so round oneee."

"Husband you baik betul la... Hari-hari dia datang makan lunch dengan you... You're so lucky."
"Hmph. Dia tu? Datang makan memang rajin, tapi kalau suruh tolong masakkk.. mampus dia tak buat!"


Is it any wonder that it's easier for us to criticize these days, than to praise?

What irks me even more is when people refute praise that is given to someone else.

Like the mother who lists down her sons faults after a friend had praised him for his grades. I mean, what the fu-? How in the world does that help your son? Dash his confidence to bits is not in ANY Dr.Spock book, mind you!

The Irish proverb says that we should praise youth and it will prosper. It certainly is disheartening to see that your own mother refuses to acknowledge your successes and in fact, is proud to declare to the world that actually, you suck.

And why is it such an IN-thing to diss your other-half? I'm perfectly happy to hear good things being said about my fiance. So if I compliment your boyfriend for his kindness in helping you paint your room, I certainly do not expect you to regale me with stories about the time he failed to buy you flowers or forgot your anniversary. I mean, apa lah salahnya kalau you just say "Thank you, so kind of you to say so." Or "Alhamdulillah... syukur". Or just "Thanks".

I notice that this problem is unique to our society. Perhaps it's ingrained in us that we should be humble and 'rendah diri'.

Trust me, I'm ALL for being humble and 'rendah diri'. But there's definitely a better way to do it than degrading yourself in the process.


It is a sign of a creeping inner death when we no longer can praise the living.
Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

No comments: