Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Return of The Maverix

(sounds like a horrible B-grade movie kan...)

I haven't written in this blog since Wan's father passed away November last year.

I had no idea what to write since this blog is, more often than not, filled with my nonsensical, lame ramblings and sarcastic venting.
It seemed incredibly disrespectful for me to continue my nonsense after such a sad period of loss.

It's not like I haven't been blogging though.

Exactly 20 days after arwah Ayoh passed away, my son was born.
I've been updating on that in my other blog, 'Musings on Sesame Street'.

My son is almost 5 months now and he's wonderful.
But since I already have an entire blog dedicated to my little Wan Mikhail, I'm not going to clutter this one with my mommy-stuff too...

I'm back in Maverix Musings because 'Life Goes On'...

And since my dear husband too has resumed his blog, I felt it the right time for me to resume mine as well...

But before I move on to my usual 'musings', I have to share that when I re-read my post on Ayoh's collapse and his demise... I cried.

Ayoh was a great man.

I've never met a man who knew exactly how to deal with people from any and all walks of life.
He treated VVIP's and menial labourers exactly the way they wanted to be treated.

He always managed to make EVERYONE he met feel welcomed, feel respected... feel special.

His sense of humor was legendary.
His sincerity in helping out others was what he was famous for.
He could strike up a conversation with ANYone ANYtime and within seconds, they'd be best buddies.

My mom once described Ayoh as 'an old-school gentleman'... and that's exactly what he was.
A real gentleman to the core.
He knew how to treat the ladies and he was every man's best friend.

I know I'm making him sound to perfect to be true but I'm not fibbing.
He was exactly how I'm making him out to be.

I remember the first time Wan introduced me to his dad...

We had been 'going-out' for quite some time and one day, without warning, he took me to meet his father.

I was (as you can imagine) terrified at the thought of meeting my boyfriend's father... especially knowing that he was a retired army-man who was the ADC for the Sultan of Kelantan.

I imagined someone scarily serious and no-nonsence.
I imagined him giving me a disapproving look and sniff at how 'unsuitable' I was for his precious firstborn.
I imagined the worst.

I couldn't have been more wrong.

The second he laid eyes on me, he gave me a big warm grin.
He showered me with compliments and engaged me into a conversation about myself (my favourite topic... haha) and he listened attentively.
He treated me like I had always been part of the family.

He was a fantastic father-in-law and I'm extremely fortunate to have been his daughter-in-law for that precious 17 months before he passed away.

My heart aches that my son did not have the chance to know his Tok Ayoh.
My heart aches that Ayoh did not have the chance to meet his first grandson.
I know that they would have adored each other...

But rest assured that despite never having met his Tok Ayoh, Mikhail will know all that is to know about that great man.

His Daddy will see to that.

And may the generation of great men continue...

Amin.

A sweet thing, for whatever time, to revisit in dreams the dear dad we have lost and to tell his tales to his grandchildren for posterity.
Euripides (484 BC - 406 BC), Alcestis, 438 BC.

No comments: